Windows desktop preparation
Prepare windows desktop for software installation, by performing basic maintenance
- Remove unnecessary software. Remove the bloat and unnecessary applications that normal come with a Windows install. Basically uninstall everything that isn't absolutely necessary. If you don't need it, remove it.
- Install ccleaner - Frees up space, clears your online tracks and helps you manage your machine so it runs faster. - https://www.ccleaner.com/
- Install defraggler - Speed up your PC with quick & easy defragmentation. Defrag entire hard drives or individual files. Works with HDD and SSD and supports NTFS and FAT32 file systems! - https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler
- Install recuva - Recover your deleted files quickly and easily. - https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
- Install speccy - Fast, lightweight, advanced system information tool for your PC. - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
At then end of this page, if Java programming is all that you are interested in learning, you can stop this series of lessons.
Install Java Development Kit
- Install The Java Development Kit - You will need this to not only run Eclipse but also develop Java code.
- Get the most up to date program which runs on your system. - https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Install Eclipse Integrated Development Environment
In the context of computing, Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing applications using the Java programming language and other programming languages such as C/C++, Python, PERL, Ruby etc.
The Eclipse platform which provides the foundation for the Eclipse IDE is composed of plug-ins and is designed to be extensible using additional plug-ins. Developed using Java, the Eclipse platform can be used to develop rich client applications, integrated development environments and other tools. Eclipse can be used as an IDE for any programming language for which a plug-in is available.
The Java Development Tools (JDT) project provides a plug-in that allows Eclipse to be used as a Java IDE, PyDev is a plugin that allows Eclipse to be used as a Python IDE, C/C++ Development Tools (CDT) is a plug-in that allows Eclipse to be used for developing application using C/C++, the Eclipse Scala plug-in allows Eclipse to be used an IDE to develop Scala applications and PHPeclipse is a plug-in to eclipse that provides complete development tool for PHP.
Reference from https://www.tutorialspoint.com/eclipse/eclipse_overview.htm
Software Download - Get the most up to date version which runs on your system. - https://www.eclipse.org/eclipseide/
Test the Java Installation
Once the above is complete, see if you can create and run this "Hello World" program.
There are many websites on how to program in java, and that kind of training is beyond the intent of this website.
With that said, essentially follow these steps:
- Start Eclipse
- Choose New Java Project and expand the tree
- Under the source (src) folder, create a new Class. Call it HelloWorld .
- In the file edit pane, copy/paste or manually type the below code
- Run the code. If successful, you will see the phrase "Hello, World" appear in the console window.
- Use the screen shot as an example and guide of what you should be seeing.